Benalmadena is probably the most popular holiday destination in Malaga and the Costa Del Sol and is also known for having many fiestas or festivals. If you are planning to stay on the costa del sol then why not time it to coincide with one of its many events.
January – The Parade of the Three Kings, January 5. The Three Kings disembark at noon at the marina from where takes place in the afternoon a parade through the main streets of Benalmadena Costa, Benalmadena Pueblo and Arroyo de la Miel, delivering tons of candy among hundreds of children who come each year with their families to this long-awaited appointment.
February – Carnival in Benalmadena is celebrated during 10 days with parades, masquerades and competitions. In 2018 it will be celebrated from the 9th to the 18th of February with costume contests and a big parade on the 17th of February.
9th February: Election of Dran Queen of Carnival at 9:30 pm in the Plaza de la Mezquita, Arroyo de la Miel.
10th February: Traditional costume contest and great carnival dance from 5pm to 6pm at Benalmadena Pueblo’s Plaza Alguacil.
11 February: Election of the Prince and Princess of the Children’s Carnival at 01.00 pm in the Mosque Square. At 12:00 noon the election of the Great Lady and Knight of Carnival and a costume contest for the elders will take place.
12,13,14,15 and 16 February: Semifinals and final of the competition of carnival groups of Murgas and Comparsas at 9 pm in the House of Culture.
17 February: Costume contest and carnival parade at 6:00 pm from the Esplanade of Tivoli and Avda. de la Estación.
February 18th: Gastronomic Carnival in Benalmadena Costa at 2:00 pm in the Plaza del Castillo Bil.
*For more information about carnival you should contact the tourism office of Benalmadena.
– St. Valentine day is the perfect excuse to plan a romantic getaway to Benalmadena, what better time book a romantic stay on our private charter boat for that week – plan ahead and drop us a message now so as not to miss out.
March / April
– Easter: There are processions in Benalmádena Pueblo and Arroyo de la Miel during the Holy Week, among which is outstanding the Virgen de la Soledad on Friday night that takes place in complete silence. Another outstanding event is the staging of the Passion of Christ “El Paso” in the hills of Benalmádena, where residents of the municipality become actors for one day.
– St. Patricks day in Benalmadena: Celebrated worldwide by irland people this event use to be held near Paloma Park. Wearing green clothes is a must, dancing is optional.
The official date is the 19th & 20th in March.
– Seafood fair in Puerto Marina is a food fair usually celebrated yearly between March and April. In 2017 it was from 28th of April to 1st of May.
June – Corpus Christi is another celebration, which stirs up the people of Benalmadena Pueblo. This festival with variable date in Benalmádena Pueblo takes on a particularly beautiful atmosphere. The neighbors decorate the balconies and adorn the main streets of town with carpets of fresh flowers and herbs, where later passes by the procession.
Romería de San Juan, third Sunday of June. The pilgrimage sets out with their adorned wagons and horses from the district of San Juan de Arroyo de la Miel to Benamaina South.
– San Juan, June, 23/24. Bonfires are lit on all the beaches of Benalmádena, where entire families gather and friends are celebrating until dawn. In Arroyo de la Miel are burned “juas”, paper dolls made from old rags. Next to the Bil-Bil castle there are usually concerts and fireworks at midnight.
– San Juan Fair in Arroyo de la Miel, from June 24 to 29. These are the festivals in honor of the patron saint, with fun, music, dance, music and popular events that attract large numbers of locals and foreigners. The day fair takes place in the Plaza de la Mezquita and the night fair takes place at the fairgrounds.
July 15th – 29th Benalmadena Summer Festival of Music, Theatre & Dance is held in the Auditorium of the Parque de La Paloma in Arroyo de la Miel. More information and reservations – (+34) 952 44 11 63
July 16th sees the evening procession of the Virgin Carmen down to the sea. This celebration is known as the ‘Veladilla del Carmen’ and has become more than simply the procession of the sailor and is now something of a favourite local tradition, with a special mass and then the carrying of the virgin to the sea, where the procession continues by boat. It leaves from Church Square, Avenida Bonanza after a mass at 19:30 and then continues at 20:30 down to Benalmadena Port, where it proceeds by boat. Many people jump in the sea and at 21:30 there is music and dancing till dawn. When the virgin reaches the sea, there is a big fireworks display from the Malapesquera Beach.
Mid-August sees festival of the ‘Virgen de la Cruz’ (The Virgin of the Cross). This annual festival of great traditional and cultural importance, is celebrated with a procession is through the streets of the Pueblo.
Arabian Souk, around the second weekend of September in Benalmadena Pueblo. In the vicinity of the Calle Real is taking place a large Arab market with tents, setting, Arabic music, crafts, workshops, storytelling, dance, theater, games for all ages from 7 pm to 1 am. Tourist Day, variable dated, which pays homage to the foreigners who have visited the city over the years, with food, music and cultural performances.
Fried fish fair, around the second weekend of October during which are distributed rations of fish and seafood as well as drinks at very affordable prices.
– 12 October is Columbus day also called ‘día del Pilar’ or ‘día de la Hispanidad (Spanish Heritage Day)’ is a Spanish national holiday with events and activities at Plaza de España in Arroyo de la Miel.
– Halloween, October 31 is celebrated in Benalmadena with parades, costumes and games and a magic show.
Christmas Fair from December 6 to January 5 in Benalmadena Costa. At the entrance of Puerto Marina are installed between 11 am and 8 pm all kinds of attractions, including cribs, bouncy castle, table games, face painting, Clowns, giant air bubbles, Children’s Cinema, storytelling, magic and theatre.